This post will guide you how to use Excel SUMPRODUCT function with syntax and examples in Microsoft excel.
The Excel SUMPRODUCT function multiplies corresponding components in the given one or more arrays or ranges, and returns the sum of those products. And it returns a numeric value.
The SUMPRODUCT function is a build-in function in Microsoft Excel and it is categorized as a Math and Trigonometry Function.
The SUMPRODUCT function is available in Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, Excel 2003, Excel XP, Excel 2000, Excel 2011 for Mac.
The syntax of the SUMPRODUCT function is as below:
= SUMPRODUCT (array1,[array2],…)
Where the SUMPRODUCT function arguments are:
- array1 -This is a required argument. The first array or range that you want to multiply and then add.
- [array2],…– This is an optional argument. The second array or range that you want to multiply and then add.
- The array arguments must have the same dimensions, or it will return the #VALUE! Error.
- The SUMPRODUCT treats non-numeric items in the arrays as zeros.
The below examples will show you how to use Excel SUMPRODUCT Function to return the sum of products.
#1 To get the total amount of all products in the range B1:B5, just using the following excel formula:
2# The arrays or ranges must have the same dimensions, otherwise returns the #VALUE error. See the below picture:
3# non-numeric items in the arrays or ranges are treated as zeros.
Excel SUMPRODUCT Function Examples
- Count Cells That Contain Specific Text
This post will discuss that how to count the number of cells that contain specific text or certain text in a specified cells of range in Excel. How to get the total number of cells that contain certain text.……
- Count Number of Cells with String Length greater than X
You can create a new formula based on the SUMPRODUCT function, the N function and the LEN function to check the string length of each cell and also get the total number that the string length is greater than number 10.……
- Highlight overlapping dates
If you want to highlight overlapping dates, you need to find the overlapping date ranges firstly, so you need to create a formula based on SUMPRODUCT function, then type this formula into the conditional formatting format box..……
- Excel PRODUCT function
The Excel PRODUCT function multiplies the numbers and returns the product. The syntax of the PRODUCT function is as below:=PRODUCT (number1, [number2], …)…