This post will guide you how to use Excel WEEKDAY function with syntax and examples in Microsoft excel.
The Excel WEEKDAY function returns a integer value representing the day fo the week for a given Excel date and the value is range from 1 to 7. so you can use this function to get the weekday number for a supplied date. and it will returns 1 for Sunday and returns 7 for Saturday. you also can use the WEEKDAY function to combine with other formulas or functions.
The WEEKDAY function is a build-in function in Microsoft Excel and it is categorized as a DATE and TIME Function.
The WEEKDAY function is available in Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, Excel 2003, Excel XP, Excel 2000, Excel 2011 for Mac.
The syntax of the WEEKDAY function is as below:
Where the WEEKDAY function arguments is:
- Serial_number –This is a required argument. An Excel date that you want to get the weekday of. the dates should be typed by the DATE function to make sure it is a valid Excel date. For example, use DATE(2018,3,20) to pass into the WEEKDAY function and then it will return the weekday of this date.
- return_type – This is an optional argument. A number that determines the type of return value.
|1 or omitted||Numbers 1 (Sunday) through 7 (Saturday). Behaves like previous versions of Microsoft Excel.|
|2||Numbers 1 (Monday) through 7 (Sunday).|
|3||Numbers 0 (Monday) through 6 (Sunday).|
|11||Numbers 1 (Monday) through 7 (Sunday).|
|12||Numbers 1 (Tuesday) through 7 (Monday).|
|13||Numbers 1 (Wednesday) through 7 (Tuesday).|
|14||Numbers 1 (Thursday) through 7 (Wednesday).|
|15||Numbers 1 (Friday) through 7 (Thursday).|
|16||Numbers 1 (Saturday) through 7 (Friday).|
|17||Numbers 1 (Sunday) through 7 (Saturday).|
- If serial_number is out of range for the current date base value, a #NUM! error is returned.
- If return_type is out of the range specified in the table above, a #NUM! error is returned.
- A serial date is how the Microsoft Excel stores dates and it represents the number of days since 1900-01-01, so the January 1, 1900 date is serial number 1 by default.
Excel WEEKDAY Function Examples
The below examples will show you how to use Excel WEEKDAY Function to return a weekday of a date.
1# get day of the week with the default return type 1, enter the following formula in Cell B1.
it means that the weekday of that date is Tuesday.
- Excel WEEKNUM function
The Excel WEEKNUM function returns the week number of a specific date, and the returned value is ranging from 1 to 53.The syntax of the WEEKNUM function is as below:=WEEKNUM (serial_number,[return_type])…
- Excel DAY function
The Excel DAY function returns a day of a date (from 1 to 31).The DAY function is a build-in function in Microsoft Excel and it is categorized as a DATE and TIME Function.The syntax of the DAY function is as below:= DAY (date_value)…
- Excel EDATE function
TThe Excel EDATE function returns the serial number that represents the date that is a specified number of months before or after a specified date.The syntax of the EDATE function is as below:=EDATE (start_date, months)…
- Excel DATE function
The Excel DATE function returns the serial number for a date.The syntax of the DATE function is as below:= DATE (year, month, day)…
More Excel WEEKDAY Function Examples
- Calculate Thanksgiving Date
You can use a simple arithmetic to calculate the possible date range for the US Thanksgiving, it falls on the fourth Thursday in November. And you can create a formula based on the DATE function and the WEEKDAY function.…
- Convert Date to Day of Week in Excel (get day name from date )
If you want to get the day name from a date in excel, you can use the TEXT function with a specified format code like “ddd” or “dddd”..…
- Get the First Monday of a Given Year
To calculate the first Monday of the year or given any date, you can create a new complex formula based on the DATE function, the YEAR function and the WEEKDAY function……
- Converting Week Number to Date
You need to create a formula based on the MAX function, the DATE function and the WEEKDAY function to convert week number to a date in Excel.…