This post will guide you how to use Google Sheets WORKDAY function with syntax and examples.
Table of Contents
The Google Sheets WORKDAY function returns a date or a serial number that represents a date that is the indicated number of working days before or after the starting date you specified. You can add a specified number of working days to the starting date and then returns a serial date. The working days will exclude weekends and any dates specified as holidays.
You can use the WORKDAY function to calculate working days and non-working days.
The WORKDAY function can be used to get a number representing the week of the year where the provided date falls in google sheets. The purpose of this function is to get the week number for a given date and it will return a number between 1 and 54.
The WORKDAY function is a build-in function in Google Sheets and it is categorized as a Date function.
The syntax of the WORKDAY function is as below:
=WORKDAY(start_date, days, [holidays])
Where the WORKDAY function arguments are:
- Start_date –This is a required argument. The starting date from which you want to count the number of working days. The date should be typed as a valid time a serial date.
- days – This is a required argument. The number of working days that you want to add. A positive value for days yields a future date; a negative value yields a past date.
- holidays – This is an optional argument. The list of holidays that you want to exclude from the working days. It can be a range of cells that contain the holiday dates or it can be a list of serial numbers that represent the holiday dates.
- If any argument is not a valid Excel date, a #VALUE! Error is returned.
- If start date value plus days is an invalid date, the WORKDAY function returns #NUM! Error.
- A serial date is how the google sheets stores dates and it represents the number of days since 1900-01-01, so the January 1, 1900 date is serial number 1 by default.
- If days value is not an integer number, it will be truncated.
Google Sheets WORKDAY Function Examples
The below examples will show you how to use google sheets WORKDAY Function to return the working days from the start date.
1# get the date 50 workdays from the starting date “3/20/2021”, enter the following formula in Cell B1.
2# get the date 50 workdays from the starting date “3/20/2021”, excluding holidays 5/1/2021, type the following formula in Cell B2.