Google Sheets ATAN2 Function
This post will guide you how to use Google Sheets ATAN function with syntax and examples.
Table of Contents
The Google Sheets ATAN function returns the arctangent, or inverse tangent, of the specified x- and y-coordinates. And you can use the ATAN2 function to calculate the arctangent of a given x and y coordinates. The returned value is an angle between –pi/2 and pi/2.
The purpose of ATAN function is to get arctangent from x- and y-coordinates in google sheets.
The ATAN function is a build-in function in Google Sheets and it is categorized as a MATH function.
The syntax of the ATAN2 function is as below:
= ATAN2 (x_num, y_num)
Where the ATAN2 function arguments are:
- x_num -This is a required argument. The x-coordinate of a point.
- Y_num – This is a required argument. The y-coordinate of a point.
- If the values of both x_num and y_num arguments are 0, the ATAN2 will return the #DIV/0! Error.
- The returned value of ATAN2(a,b) is equal to the formula ATAN2(b,a).
- If you want to express the arctangent in degrees, you just need to multiply the result by 180/PI() or you can use the DEGREES function.
- If the supplied number is not a numeric value, the ATAN function will get the #VALUE！ Error。
- If the returned result is a positive value, it indicates that it is a counterclockwise angle from the x-axis. If the returned result is a negative value, it indicates that it is a clockwise angle.
Google Sheets ATAN Function Examples
The below examples will show you how to use google sheets ATAN2 Function to return the arctangent of x and y coordinates
1# get the arctangent of the x- and y-coordinates 2,2 in radians, enter the following formula in Cell B1.
The returned result is 0.785398.
2# get the arctangent of the x- and y-coordinates -2,-2 in radians, -3*pi/4, using the following formula in Cell B2.
This formula will return the value -2.35619.
3# get the arctangent of the x- and y-coordinates 2,2 in degrees, using the following formula in Cell B3.
Or you can use the below formula to achieve the same result: