This post will guide you how to use Excel MONTH function with syntax and examples in Microsoft excel.
The Excel MONTH function returns the month of a date represented by a serial number. And the month is an integer number from 1 to 12. And you can use the MONTH function to get a month component from a given date value. And you can feed the month number to another formula.
The MONTH function is a build-in function in Microsoft Excel and it is categorized as a DATE and TIME Function.
The MONTH function is available in Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, Excel 2003, Excel XP, Excel 2000, Excel 2011 for Mac.
The syntax of the MONTH function is as below:
Where the MONTH function arguments is:
- Serial_number -This is a required argument. A valid date value that contains the month component you want to extract. Dates should be entered by using the DATE function, or as results of other formulas or functions. For example, use DATE (2019,3,15) for the 15th day of March, 2019.
- A serial date is how the Microsoft Excel stores dates and it represents the number of days since 1900-01-01, so the January 1, 1900 date is serial number 1 by default.
- If the serial_number is not a valid Excel date, it will return #VALUE! Error.
Excel MONTH Function Examples
The below examples will show you how to use Excel MONTH Function to return an integer number that representing the month component of a given Excel date
1# get month of the date in Cell A1, enter the following formula in Cell B1.
2# convert Month name to number, type the following formula in Cell B1.
You should use the DATEVALUE function to convert a date stored as text to a serial number. Then feed the result into the MONTH function to extract a month number from date.
=MONTH(DATEVALUE(A1 & "1"))
- Excel DAY function
The Excel DAY function returns a day of a date (from 1 to 31). The DAY function is a build-in function in Microsoft Excel and it is categorized as a DATE and TIME Function.The syntax of the DAY function is as below:= DAY (date_value)
- Excel YEAR function
The Excel YEAR function returns a four-digit year from a given date value, the year is returned as an integer ranging from 1900 to 9999. The syntax of the YEAR function is as below:=YEAR (serial_number)…
- Excel DATEVALUE Function
The Excel DATEVALUE function returns the serial number of date. And it can be used to convert a date represented as text format into a serial number that recognizes as a date format.The syntax of the DATEVALUE function is as below:=DATEVALUE(date_text)…
More Excel Month Function Examples
- Convert Month Name to Number
If you want to convert month name to number with an excel formula, or you want to convert 3 letter month name to numbers, you can create a formual based on the MONTH function and the DATEVALUE function…
- Count Dates in Given Year/Month/Day in Excel
You can create a formula based on the SUMPRODUCT function and the YEAR function to count dates by a give year….