This post will guide you how to use the MEDIAN function with syntax and examples in Microsoft excel.
The Excel MEDIAN function returns the median of the given numbers. And the median is the number in the middle of a list of supplied numbers. For example, if a list of supplied numbers are 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, the MEDIAN function will return the middle number in this list, it is number 6.
The MEDIAN function is a build-in function in Microsoft Excel and it is categorized as a Statistical Function.
The MEDIAN function is available in Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, Excel 2003, Excel XP, Excel 2000, Excel 2011 for Mac.
The syntax of the MEDIAN function is as below:
= MEDIAN (number1, [number2], ...)
Where the MEDIAN function arguments are:
- number1 – This is a required argument. A number or array or cell reference that contain only numeric values.
- number2-This is an optional argument. A number or array or reference that refers to numeric values. It can be up to 255 numeric values in Excel 2007 or later. And it only can be up to 30 number arguments in Excel 2003.
- If the total number of supplied number arguments is odd, the MEDIAN function will calculate the middle number in the list of numbers.
- If the total number of supplied number arguments is even, the MEDIAN function will calculate the average of the two numbers in the middle.
- Any arguments can either be numeric values or Defined names, arrays, or cell reference that contain only numeric values.
- If the list of number arguments contain logical values text, or empty cells, those values will be ignored.
Excel MEDIAN Function Examples
The below examples will show you how to use Excel MEDIAN Function to get the middle number of a group of a supplied numbers.
Example 1: to get the median of the 8 numbers in the range A1:A6. Because the list have 7 values, the fourth is the middle number, using the following formula:
= MEDIAN (A1:A7)
Example 2: to get the median of the 8 numbers in the range A1:A8. Because the total number of supplied list is even, it will calculate the average the two numbers in the middle, using the following formula:
= MEDIAN (A1:A8)
- Excel AVERAGE function
The Excel AVERAGE function returns the average of the numbers that you provided.The syntax of the AVERAGE function is as below:=AVERAGE (number1,[number2],…)….